Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Rare Non-Hockey Post

I'm not a basketball fan at all - I don't follow it, I am happy with the rare time I hear that the Raptors have won, I know of the big names in the NBA, I've seen Space Jam, but that's about all. But obviously I heard about the LeBron stuff this past summer. Maybe a true basketball fan was excited about the anticipation of his "big decision" and totally believed he should do an hour-long primetime show to announce it. Meanwhile, I was more like "Wtf, who does this guy think he is, make up your god damn mind" (Apparently I'm angry?).

Really, it doesn't seem like a big decision to me at all - who wouldn't want to continue to play for their home team - literally home team, as LeBron is FROM Ohio. Don't most little Toronto kids, playing street hockey and at the local arena, dream of playing on the Leafs and being the reason they turn around their game and end their Stanley Cup drought? What little Chicago kid didn't watch Toews lift the cup and dream of doing the same in a Hawks jersey? Don't even get me started on Montreal, easily the most dedicated fans in the league (k but come on, Toronto is close behind...)

So really, it's a no-brainer, right? And LeBron did just what everyone else would do...

Ohhhhhh wait, he didn't, did he? You know what, it's a free country and he has the right to do whatever he wants and he wanted to play with his friends in Miami and have a better chance at a championship (Ring? Is that what they get? Is there a cup involved? Trophy? Whatever, no idea over here.) But you know what, money, fame and glory is great I guess, but it's got nothing on loyalty. (I'm just going to remind everyone of the "home team discount" Crosby and Malkin "gave" to the Penguins, agreeing to salaries that are [probably] much lower than they could get elsewhere. What loyal little Penguins, love it).

Anyways, the reason that this even came up to me is because LeBron did a Nike commercial in which he addresses all the controversy from over the summer:



Sure, whatever. Still not why I wanted to mention this - like I said, I don't follow basketball, so I didn't even hear about this commercial until Ohio decided to respond to said commercial:



All I can say is: well said.

Anyways, that's enough basketball news to do me for probably the rest of my life. Except for this one last comment: who the eff is cocky enough to get a huge tattoo of "Chosen 1" across their backs? Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment